Thursday, August 28, 2008

Despite it all, Orlando was hot as Paris

School so far has gone well. I have yet to attend my night class, but that shall be remedied in a few short hours. I am terrified of my poetry class, but it did introduce me to a really awesome poem. It's called "Love, Helen" by Lynnell Edwards. Unfortunately, I am not particularly internet savvy, so I shall have to just type it out. I was going to type excerpts, but the whole thing is just awesome. Just for a reference, this is supposed to be a letter from Helen of Troy. Hilarious.

A thousand fucking ships 
to recover my sweet ass?
What fools. And that's not
the half of it. Listen, bitch:
I wanted out. Out
of that palace house, prison
of Spartan glint and despair;
out from under the sexless
slump of the old man,
his stale breath, palsied grip;
out from the clutches 
of the brats we begot, immortals'
burden to issue heirs. Out
of it all, sister. So when 
that fine shepherd showed
his sweet face, the swan
in me lifted to meet his mouth,
wild bird heart swollen
like a snail in the Aegean breeze, 
his hands on the arc
of my cygnet neck, his hands
sculpting the hollow of my waist,
now winged love soaring
across the waves, the wine-dark
flush of desire unconstrained, 
now my marble silence
tightening as a noose
around Troy's breath. And you
want to know why and how
much and when.

I say: take your goddamn thousand ships,
rattling songs of arms and the man,
clarion gifts that seethe revenge, 
but know this: when the long battle
years wage on and you wait
for your man while age bends
your brittle frame, spots
your once-milky skin, thins
your fertile hair where he buried
his tears, released his joy, 
know this: I am beautiful
still; your men, all dead.

-Love, Helen
  Lynnell Edwards


So I thoroughly enjoyed that poem. Aside from that, not much exciting going on. 

1 comment:

KTP said...

Wow. I really enjoyed that poem too.