Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fucked up, completely fucked up

So, I don't even know where to start. 

My mind can't really process everything because I am so fucking angry its ridiculous. 

In my previous post I mentioned that my aunt's house in Sylmar had suffered fire damage. The fire department then yellow-tagged the structure, meaning that they can enter, but not inhabit the home. So they routinely went to the house to air it out and get more clothes and stuff that they needed. So, like the three days prior, my aunt went to the house on Tuesday and found that it had been burgled and ransacked. 

Apparently the police department decided it was unnecessary to have anyone keeping an eye on the neighborhood because the fire itself had moved on. BULLSHIT! There are dozens of houses that are yellow-tagged which means...THERE ARE NO PEOPLE IN THEM! 

Add to that the fact that my aunt actually asked the officer who finally showed up on Monday at 4 PM why all these people were being let to the neighborhood and received the rather fucktarded answer "Oh, they're just curious". Yeah, um, people who are "just curious" don't walk into other peoples' backyards. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! 

Obviously they took all the TVs and other valuable possessions. They also found some christmas presents hidden away and took those too. But the really fucked up part, was that they took my little cousin's toys. Not even the expensive ones or the portable DVD player sitting right on his dresser. No, the little dinosaurs and cars that he loves and SLEEPS with every night. WTF?

So my aunt got interviewed by several news stations today and I saw her later on in the evening when I stopped by my grandma's house. She was trying to put on a brave face, but I noticed those moments when she fell silent and you could see the defeat on her face. It broke my heart.  The kids know that someone broke into the house and took some of their things, but they have no idea that its a wreck inside. Mari's room is the worst. Not only does it have the burn marks from the fire in the garage below her room, but whoever broke in absolutely destroyed her room. 

My mother also brought up a good point. How do the firefighters feel knowing that they risked their lives to preserve as much of these structures and the things within, only to have all that risk and work negated by some stupid fuckers, who want to take advantage of already suffering families? If I was a firefighter, I'd think "Well, shit, I should've just let the fire take it all". And frankly, I'd rather have my possessions lost in a fire than stolen because I was not allowed to safeguard my own home. 

Its just bullshit, and I am stupid angry. Fuck. 

If you want to watch the interview, its on this page

1 comment:

Kellie said...

That really sucks. Are they gonna fingerprint the place at all? Are the police even going to do anything.

Man, I can totally understand your frustration.

However, it was sorta awkward when Can't Touch This came on as I'm reading...