Thursday, November 5, 2009

Writing exercise: Dialogue

Because I did my homework this week, you get a treat...well maybe. We'll find out after you read it.

Visiting Hours

“What, no flowers for me?”

“I don’t have time for this. Why did you call me?”

“Oh we’ll get to it. Franklin, darlin’ can you just close that door for me so Tom and I can have a li’l privacy. That’s a dear.”

“You’ve got everyone wrapped around that finger of yours, don’t you?”

“Oh, I wouldn’t presume-”

“Wouldn’t you?”

“Really, Tom, take a seat. Can’t we be civil?”

“No.”

“There, that’s more comfortable, isn’t it? No reason we can’t share some simple conversation. How’s the family?”

“Is this why you called me over here? Because you’re bored and can’t receive callers anymore?”

“Heavens, Tom. There’s no call to be rude. I was just making polite conversation. My mother was the queen of polite conversation, did you know that, Tom? At my age—by the way I’ll be twenty-six on Friday and expect a cake—she could stop a brawl with her sweet voice. ‘Course, like as not, my daddy probably started the fight in the first place. I wish I coulda known her better, but she went missing when I was seven. Did you have a nice childhood, Tom?”

“Cut the crap. We both know there is a reason you called me here, whether or not its what you mentioned on the telephone.”

“How’s the family, Tom?”

“Fine, we’ll do it your way. The family is fine. Except for the wife, of course, since she’s mad as hell that you somehow got our home number.”

“I’m sorry about that, Tom, but your office won’t take my calls anymore. That secretary of yours is real unaccommodating. You should really consider getting rid of her.”

“I think I’ll give her a raise. Unless I find out she’s the one who gave you my home number.”

“Oh, she’s not. Don’t you remember Missy Trelaine?”

“From the market on 16th?”

“That’s the one! Well, she’s real good friends with Kelly Ann, who, if you recall, is practically a sister to my third cousin Jessie. It was simple enough to call Aunt Helen, who put in a call to her sister, Esther, who, of course, is Jessie’s-”

“I see where this is going. Have you ever heard of invasion of privacy?”

“Well, yes, but I wasn’t invadin’ nobody.”

“My wife begs to differ. I beg to differ. Can we get on with it?”

“I do like your wife, Tom. You made an excellent choice. Some people just marry cause they want to be married and don’t even think about whether or not they’re suitable. Sometimes they don’t even think about whether or not the other person even wants to be married.”

“Can we get to the point of me being here?”
“So hasty!”

“Well, Maryanne, you called me in the middle of dinner saying it was imperative that I come over here right away. You said you were ready to talk. So talk!”

“I have been. Weren’t you listening?”

“All I’ve heard is your usual babble. Now I came down here to hear your side of the story, but if this was just a trick for some company then I’m gonna have to leave.”

“It wasn’t a trick, Tom.”

“Then why am I here? What have you got to say?”

“The truth.”

“And what truth is that, Maryanne?”
“It was self defense.”

“Self defense! The man was napping in his chair! What on earth could you have been defending yourself against? This is ridiculous, Maryanne. I can’t believe you brought me down here for this bull.”

“No, don’t leave-”

“The charges stay at Murder One. I suggest you cut the crap and find a lawyer.”

“It was self defense! It was! Only, it was years too late.”

“What insanity are you talking now, Maryanne?”

“Did you have a nice childhood, Tom?”

2 comments:

Fatty Pants said...

1. i thought we were in a hospital until she said self-defense, that was a fun twist.

2. i read this whole thing in my head in the Grandpa Greeinch/Windjamma voice which was AWESOME

3. so she murdered her violent daddy, yes?

4. i enjoyed this, thank you wifey

God said...

1. awesome
2. even more awesome
3. yes
4. i'm glad

5. have a fun weekend!