Thursday, September 17, 2009

writing exercise: enumeration

This is a result of a two hour conversation with someone who writes horror and an evening meal at Denny's.

“The Late Night Menu”

I’m a creature of the night. Most days I don’t even appear until the sun has said farewell to the skies. If I was one of those people who collected friends, they’d give a short chuckle and say “Oh, that’s just -------- for you.” But my collection is far more interesting and I don’t do relationships. I’m more like a meal Denny’s: always available to satisfy your hunger, but you’ll usually regret indulging yourself later. I’m not those well-known classics either like Moons over my Hammy or a Grand Slam. No, I’m the Late Night Menu.

1. The Club Sandwich

I was sloppy that first time. Didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I’ve gotten a lot better at looking at all the ingredients first before I choose an entrée now. Frankly, that first time was simply too bland. He was an excellent conversationalist, though. I almost regret it.

2. The Double Cheeseburger

Two beef patties and four slices of American cheese. Served with lettuce, tomato, pickles and red onions.

This was one of my favorite nights. Normally I have some sort of plan for the evening, but I woke up at dusk feeling antsy. I turned on some music, hoping that if I got the blood flowing, the sensation would cease. But it didn’t. If anything, the uncomfortable feeling intensified and I couldn’t help but think that there was somewhere else I should be. Deciding to embrace the discomfort, I quickly dressed and exited into the evening. The deepening shadows offered some relief as I followed my feet to our destination. I didn’t even know the place existed. I only walked about two miles and there it was, the word -------- written in neon lights was the only indication that there was an establishment within the small rundown building. As soon as I walked in I was welcomed by a lingering cloud of cigarette smoke and suspicious looks from a few people at the bar. I only vaguely noticed the two soldiers when I took an empty stool next to them.

It was embarrassingly easy to entice them home with me. Almost no struggle at all. The more responsible of the two mentioned an early deployment in the morning, but the other convinced him to stay. They were two particularly tasty looking pieces of meat. Both were thick, but in a bulk muscle way. They probably could’ve easily thrown me across the room if they were given the chance. From their accents I gathered their recruitment took place somewhere more midwesterly than our “big city”. All American boys, fresh from the farm. I took it nice and slow that night, often stopping to run my hands down their flesh. It was particularly pleasing to feel the raised veins after I tied them up. Smooth skin, warm from the rush of blood as they try to escape the bonds. Yeah, that was an excellent night. I don’t think they ever did find the bodies.

2 comments:

Fatty Pants said...

why would you entice me with the menu item and not tell me why he's a buffalo chicken???

Kellie said...

Heh. This was good.