Thursday, September 3, 2009

Here we go again...writing exercise 1

Collage: cut up pieces of prose rearranged to generate a new narrative.

“Judgment”
Before that sudden journey no one is wiser in thought than he needs to be, in considering, before his departure, what will be adjudged to his soul, of good or evil, after his death-day.

I stayed in the bathroom for about an hour, taking a bath and all. Then I got back in bed. It took me quite a while to get to sleep-I wasn’t even tired-but finally I did. What I really felt like, though, was committing suicide. I felt like jumping out the window. I probably would’ve done it, too, if I’d been sure somebody’d cover me up as soon as I landed. I didn’t want a bunch of stupid rubbernecks looking at me when I was all gory.

Mr. St. John came but once: he looked at me, and said my state of lethargy was a result of reaction from excessive and protracted fatigue. He pronounced it needless to send for a doctor: nature, he was sure, would manage best, left to herself.

I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind. Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place.

I think he definitely strides between hero and villain…Someone who arrives at your door, proclaims himself a god and then smashes your planet is not exactly your best friend. But the real question here is why? Has he gone off the deep end or is he working towards something?





Sources
Alexander, Michael. The Earliest English Poems. Penguin Group, NY. 1991. p7.
Beard, Jim. “Son of Hulk: Here There Be Giants”. Marvel.com News. September 3, 2009
Bronte, Charlotte. Jane Eyre. New American Library, NY. 1997. p345.
Salinger, J.D.. The Catcher in the Rye. Little, Brown and Co., Boston. 1991. p104.
The Holy Bible NKJV Revelations 6:12-14

2 comments:

Kellie said...

Really nicely done. I enjoyed the fact that I immediately knew it was Jane Eyre without even looking at your references.

God said...

haha you would