Friday, September 18, 2009

Derek Fisher: Some, not all, of that. And definitely no chips.

I was unimpressed with Derek Fisher. I don't think I've ever been there when a celeb refused to sign things for the staff. He didn't seem to want to be there. No eye contact with anyone, no memorabilia, no pictures, last minute (literally) decision to personalize and immediately on his cell phone and rushed out the door afterward.

My favorite part of this whole evening was a conversation I had with this one lady...

Since I decided to be a bookseller and help out with the event I was frequently approached by customers who needed help locating things. One middle-aged lady asked if I could help her find a diet book. As we made our way to an unoccupied computer we started chatting and were having a good time discussing all the insanity. Once we reached InfoB the following exchange occurred:

Customer: I guess I came on the wrong day. I didn't go yesterday cause Wednesdays are crap with Farmer's Market, but I figured today would be fine. What's going on?

Me: Oh, we're having a book signing.

Customer: Oh, so is that brown guy really here?

GIANT PAUSE BECAUSE HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THAT?!

Me: Uh, yeah, Derek Fisher is here.

Customer: Oh! I thought you were having Dan Brown here cause I saw all the signs.

Me: (feeling both relieved and like an asshole for assuming she was racist) Oh! Oh, no. We just started selling his book the other day and are promoting it.


Anyway, the memory of that conversation totally got me through the night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kellie said...

That's so disappointing. Yet refreshing to know that not making the drive was the right move.

Fatty Pants said...

ahahahahahaha that's the greatest conversation ever!

Joshua David Reyes said...

this is hilarious.