Monday, August 31, 2009

Recommendations....

Words cannot express my love for the film My Neighbor Totoro. One afternoon out of boredom I raided my eldest sister's movie collection and popped in the VHS. I've loved it ever since. Its really funny and cute and how can't you love the big fluff ball that is Totoro?



Anyways, after a delicious dinner at Sizzler last night, my dad and I decided to find another air conditioned place to hang out and chose the movie theaters. Since we both were kind of curious about the film, we decided to see Ponyo. Neither of us had any idea what the storyline was, but even if we ended up hating it, we still would have indulged in two hours of air conditioning, so it was a win-win.

This movie is absolutely adorable. As per all of Miyazaki's films, it has that magical element that is both enchanting and strange. In Totoro, the strangest element was a bus that was a cat. It was kinda creepy.



In Ponyo, it manifests in Ponyo's father, voiced by Liam Neeson. The character, though, was meant to be weird.



All of the acting was excellent including newbies Frankie Jonas and Noah Cyrus. The character Ponyo, is the freaking cutest thing ever. I was a little confused as to what exactly she was in the beginning, but she's so adorable that it really doesn't matter. If you haven't seen this film, you must go now. It is the cutest movie I've seen in a long time. Up was excellent as well, but there is a lot less angst in this one so its more just generally feel good. For Christmas I want this.


GO SEE IT!!!

No comments: